Thursday, December 11, 2008

Tourist in my own city

Okay so I have to plead guilty to not enjoying my surrounding when I lived in Salt Lake before. It took moving 2000+ miles away and Jemima coming to town for me to enjoy some beautiful heritage. (I will steal some pictures from her camera when she comes home) We started out at the Joseph Smith Memorial building previously the Hotel Utah. Our tour guide was great she suggested we go see the Joseph Smith, Prophet of the Restoration. I am so glad she did. It was a tear jerker but so worth it to put into perspective how much the early saints and the prophet endured. The persecution and trials were on going. Then we went walked around and saw some of the beautiful nativities. Enjoyed a wonderful lunch at the Lion House Pantry Cafe I had stuffed pork, oatmeal zucchini soup (TDF) and of course there infamous rolls and honey butter. My tummy was happy! Then on to
The Beehive house for a tour. The carpentry was beautiful and the period clothing was amazing. I was appreciative of the hand made lace, we really take for granted we can buy premade lace most anywhere, including Walmart. It was wonderful to see how beautifully decorated Brigham Young's home was. After all they had endured to cross the plains to get to this valley, to finally have something nice. Then we were off to the Relief Society building This was built by $5 donations from sisters, that were encouraged to not get the money from their husbands but to find someway to earn it to give to build this building. For those sisters who were in other countries who couldn't send the money because of restrictions on mail, gave some amazing Meissin pottery and other gifts to decorate the building. It was moving to see what an amazing force for good women in our world wide Relief Society organization can do. I then had to leave their side to pick up children from school and they headed off to the Family History Library to research some of their family. It was a wonderful day! I especially appreciate Jason (Jemima's husband) for letting her come especially when today is their 15th wedding anniversary. Happy Anniversary Jason and Jemima!

1 comment:

Kristen said...

Sounds like a blast. I want you to be my tour guide next time we are in UT. And of course before that I will be yours in Paris!!! Tell me when you want to come and we miss you tons and tons. Merry Christmas!