Saturday, June 30, 2007

first stitches

Well it was inevitable with two boys now the likelihood of someone needed stitches is higher. Surprising as it is it was little L who needed them. Poor little guy. He got in the recycle stuff and there was a metal peel top from a can of formula. He sliced his pinky finger right open. When he was crying I went over to him and thought he had grabbed a lid of the tomato sauce we had used the night before but then I realized that it was blood (we also rinse out all the cans before we put them in the bin to recycle, so that wasn't very logical). Of course Justin was out on a run. Luckily he was oncall so he had the cell phone with him. I rinsed off his finger to assess the damage and then put pressure. I can't believe how much a finger can bleed. I called Justin and told him to come home now L needed stitches. Unfortunately I was right. Justin was glad to perform his surgical skills. After the numbing shots, L feel asleep and didn't wake up through all the stitching. We were blessed. After 2 layers of stitching and placing a bandaid now it is just wait and see. I hope this isn't going to start a pattern or increase the frequency. Not even nine months old....stitches already.

3 comments:

Traci said...

Oh, So sad to hear about your little one! I haven't had to deal with that yet, knock on wood!

Amy Smith said...

I understand the grief! 9 months is so little. Good thing you have Justin!

mandy said...

Hey Ash! After you commented on my stitches post, I had to come find yours! You are so lucky he fell asleep! Especially since he was so little. It is so nice to have a surgeon in the house! Although let's be honest, he's not really in the house that much. In fact out of the about 80 hours a week he is home, probably 70 of them are spent sleeping. :) Hope you're all well. Love all your pics! Did you get an awesome digital SLR?

~mandy