Tuesday, September 2, 2008

First day of school

Well for M at least. A has been in school for a week. I don't know why they start Kindergarten one week late but that is what happens here. M had homework last week, she had to make a paper doll that looked like her to bring for her first day. We had a fun time picking out stuff for her. She picked the yarn that was closest to her own hair color. The eyes are made of glass beads and she added mini black buttons in the center. The long eyelashes came next and a cute button nose (she told me, "I need a cute button nose because that is what you call my nose.") She also wanted earrings and a necklace, she found some flower embellishments I had made for something else. The pleats in her skirt, M cut strips of cardstock and overlapped them and then made boots for her doll too. I got teary eyed dropping her off. Maybe a little because she looks so big but she was having a really hard time and on the verge of tears herself. M was so nervous, usually she just calms right down but she wouldn't even sit by the kids that she already knows. I wanted to just rush her back home and say we will wait but that isn't fair. She is ready and I fully expect to go pick her up in a few hours and see a huge smile and a declaration "I love school". At least that is what I am telling myself over and over.
A is loving school. I expected more of the clinging from him I guess but there was none of that. He has been so anxious to get to school and meet friends. He loves his teacher and I think it will be an incredible year for him.


2 comments:

Sarah said...

Aww, M's first day of school. I love her paper doll. You guys did a great job on her.
Miss you guys.

Amy said...

Aubrey just had her first day of school today. I was so anxious sending her on the bus, but it all went fine. Can you believe how time flies? M looked so cute in her uniform and sneakers.