Saturday, January 31, 2009

Life is short...

As I was stuck in traffic for over an hour, just sitting in one place, I had plenty of time to contemplate life...
I have been working on my 72 hour kits for the car but I am not done. I have blankets and drinks. M was with me and she was hungry. I had no food to give her and no way of knowing how long it was going to be. Oh did I mention I was almost on reserve gas tank. I had to alter a few plans while I was waiting as well. I was trying to figure out why all 6 lanes of traffic were not moving at all. Everyone was getting out of their cars, behind us people were turning up music and dancing on the freeway trying to make the best of it. Others were climbing on top of their cars trying to get a better look. I figured it was an accident or something spilled. Then I saw the Life Flight helicopter circle and land not more than 20 cars ahead of me. It really scared me. I was glad I hadn't got upset because some one's life just got completely altered and who knows if they will survive. My brother heard on the news that it was a five car pile up. How quickly can our lives be changed? Instantaneously! We listened to a Magic Tree House audio cd. I was grateful to have that to entertain M. It made it much easier for her to be patient, even with her grumbling tummy. When we were finally able to move and drive by, one little car was beyond recognizable I couldn't even tell you what make it was. Have you ever seen a car smashed into a ball? I am grateful I wasn't closer to see everything that happened. I feel bad for those that had front row seating and grateful for those that rushed to the aid of the injured people. So I am grateful to have made it home safely. Then I checked my email and we are trying get our basement finished so I had an email from my builder saying "sorry I didn't get back to you, my plumber has been missing since Monday and they found him on Thursday in the desert with a self inflicted gun shot wound. I have been taking it pretty hard. I will get back to you next week." Times are really tough and people are desperate, it makes my heart ache.

3 comments:

Kristen said...

I agree, life is short and can change so quickly. We have to enjoy every season and remember that each day is a gift. (Easier said than done). And we can enjoy all the good times and memories (and many of CT include your family). Glad you are safe and made me think of the blessings of safety.

Lanna said...

The sound of sirens used to bother me. But, now that I've lived near two fire stations, I realize that it's a mournful sound, the sound of someone who is in trouble or needs help. Now, those sirens are comforting ... even if they wake me up at 3 a.m.

Wendy said...

Glad you are safe and enjoying life in Utah. Our Ward keeps shrinking but we have great memories with all of you terrific students.